Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Counter



 
 

Sent to you by Gigi via Google Reader:

 
 

via Chow Down Atlanta by Chloe on 1/28/09

Here's another burger joint to hit our city recently. It's a transplant from California that is settling in very nicely in suburbia. The concept here is that you can build your own burger — on paper. So instead of barking out your preferences to a server, you simply write it down yourself.

The Counter

I got a 1/3 pound burger with Tillamook cheddar, Bermuda red onions, tomatoes, and my favorite burger topping: a fried egg over medium. I chose the garlic aioli for my sauce (additional $0.50). Nice bartender dude gave me the "2-o'clock-Special" so my burger came with a side of fries. I wanted to try the fried onion strings so I also got a side order of it.

The Counter

The burger was perfectly cooked medium. Though tender, it was a bit bland for my tastes. The fried egg went very well with my burger and the onions were really crunchy; the tomatoes fresh and crispy. I'd say it's a good burger overall although it's not in the same class as H&F. The fries were definitely frozen but they were nicely fried and seasoned. The side of roasted garlic aioli was really good. Mix it up with ketchup and you've got a fantastic dipping sauce for your fries.

The Counter

The fried onion strings were a bit greasy. I would have liked it better if they had used sweet onions. Will not order these again.

I also had the chocolate milkshake. I wasn't impressed with the milkshake. It wasn't chocolatey enough.

Verdict: pricey. My lunch came to $20 before tip. That included the +$1 topping and $0.50 aioli on the burger, milkshake, diet Coke, and an order of onion strings. I know, I know. But I do have a big appetite. I finished my burger, the fries, half of the strings, 2 glasses of soda, and quarter of the milkshake. Still, in this economic times, $20 is a bit much for lunch. Burgers are okay, fries are okay, onion strings are oily, and milkshakes are mediocre. Service, atmosphere, and the whole counter burger experience are all thumbs-up.

The scoop:
The Counter: Custom Built Burgers
850 Mansell Rd
Roswell, GA 30076
(678) 461-9661

The Counter: Custom Built Burgers on Urbanspoon

Technorati Tags: , , ,


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: